From: "Peter A. Kincaid" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Strathclyde British haplotype
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:44:25 -0300

I'm playing Rainman ;-) Isn't everyone trying to pull out
combinations of STRs that might further breakdown some
of the European haplogroups. I went through Ysearch
and out of 1795 R1bs I pulled out those specifically from
Wales and a handful of surnames specific to the area
inhabited by the Strathclyde Britons. Welsh surnames
were used mainly because there are very few samples
from the Strathclyde area. The fundamental assumption
was that Kincaids (with over 40 samples) were Strathclyde
Britons. Peeling off those that are AMH modal one pattern that
came out is the combination of the three last marker values
I gave below. Those that were off for the most part were at
the AMH modal. As I said it ain't science but it was interesting
enough to query the list

From your response the markers by themselves don't mean
much but the combination is not likely found in the haplogroups
you mention.

Best wishes!

Peter

At 06:53 PM 16/06/2005, you wrote:
>I don't know exactly what you are trying to do, but the 18 at 448 suggests
>NOT I1a or I1c or Dinaric I1b (which are all modal 20), but could be western
>I1b. DYS447 is so volatile you can rarely tell much from it. DYS439 = 11
>is consistent with many groups in Europe.

This thread: