From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Overall Genetic make-up----comparing Y DNA/mtDNA tests with BioGeographical tests
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:57:56 -0600

With zero pedigree collapse you have 2 raised to the Nth power of ancestors
N generations back ---- 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc.

But by the 10th generation back or so some of your ancestors (more and more)
will be only ancestors in the mating sense and will have left you no (zero)
genetic material. Explanation for this is in the manner in which the 23
chromozomes divide into just a few pieces, crossover, and recombine.

And, of course, as folks have pointed out many times on this list, if there
were no pedigree collapse, the number of ancestors would relatively soon
exceed the whole population on Earth.

Ken