Subject: PubMed abstract: German / Polish Y chromosome distributions
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:57:12 EDT

Hum Genet. 2005 Jun 16; [Epub ahead of print]

Significant genetic differentiation between Poland and Germany follows
present-day political borders, as revealed by Y-chromosome analysis.

Kayser M, Lao O, Anslinger K, Augustin C, Bargel G, Edelmann J, Elias S,
Heinrich M, Henke J, Henke L, Hohoff C, Illing A, Jonkisz A, Kuzniar P, Lebioda A,
Lessig R, Lewicki S, Maciejewska A, Monies DM, Pawlowski R, Poetsch M, Schmid
D, Schmidt U, Schneider PM, Stradmann-Bellinghausen B, Szibor R, Wegener R,
Wozniak M, Zoledziewska M, Roewer L, Dobosz T, Ploski R.

Department of Forensic Molecular Biology, Medical-Genetic Cluster,, Erasmus
University Medical Center Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000, DR Rotterdam, The
Netherlands, .

To test for human population substructure and to investigate human population
history we have analysed Y-chromosome diversity using seven microsatellites
(Y-STRs) and ten binary markers (Y-SNPs) in samples from eight regionally
distributed populations from Poland (n=913) and 11 from Germany (n=1,215). Based on
data from both Y-chromosome marker systems, which we found to be highly
correlated (r=0.96), and using spatial analysis of the molecular variance (SAMOVA),
we revealed statistically significant support for two groups of populations:
(1) all Polish populations and (2) all German populations. By means of
analysis of the molecular variance (AMOVA) we observed a large and statistically
significant proportion of 14% (for Y-SNPs) and 15% (for Y-STRs) of the respective
total genetic variation being explained between both countries. The same
population differentiation was detected using Monmonier's algorithm, with a
resulting genetic border between Poland and Germany that closely resembles the course
of the political border between both countries. The observed genetic
differentiation was mainly, but not exclusively, due to the frequency distribution of
two Y-SNP haplogroups and their associated Y-STR haplotypes: R1a1*, most
frequent in Poland, and R1*(xR1a1), most frequent in Germany. We suggest here that
the pronounced population differentiation between the two geographically
neighbouring countries, Poland and Germany, is the consequence of very recent
events in human population history, namely the forced human resettlement of many
millions of Germans and Poles during and, especially, shortly after World War
II. In addition, our findings have consequences for the forensic application of
Y-chromosome markers, strongly supporting the implementation of population
substructure into forensic Y chromosome databases, and also for genetic
association studies.

PMID: 15959808 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

This thread: