From: David Wilson <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] PubMed abstract: German / Polish Y chromosomedistributions
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:02:30 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Ellen,

There is less to this than meets the eye. When the researchers say R1*(xR1a1), they are basically defining R1b -- that is, anything in R1 except the haplotypes that are defined by M17. Since everything in that encompassing description EXCEPT R1b is vanishingly small, you are basically looking at R1b by default.

So the authors have basically drawn the R1a/Slavic -- R1b/Germanic distinction, to throw in a linguistic element. And I think we all kind of knew that already.

David Wilson