From: JAMES BUCHANAN <>
Subject: Re: Re: [DNA] Strathclyde British haplotype
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:14:29 +0100 (BST)

The name MacWhirter means 'son of the harper' . As surnames came into use around the time of David 1st ( 1124 -1153) you cannot justifiably say that name has NOT a Brythonic origin or that it IS anything but Scotttish and is common around Ayrshire. Galbriath seems a good Brythonic indicator to me, it has a solid central group, the clan are collectively called the ' Foreign Britons - Mac a Bhreatnaich' and comes from the right area. The Colhoun results seem interesting too, I'm more of a Historian than DNA bod, so maybe someone can tell me what their strange markers are.

"Peter A. Kincaid" <> wrote:I noted the first two markers as based on Dennis Garvery's rule of
thumb if you are a 12 at DYS426 and not a 11 at DYS392 then you
are likely R1b. It is the last three marker combination that I noted
as key and what was queried by Bennett.

Best wishes!

Peter