From: "Peter A. Kincaid" <>
Subject: Re: Re: [DNA] Strathclyde British haplotype
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:46:11 -0300

At 04:14 PM 17/06/2005, you wrote:
>The name MacWhirter means 'son of the harper' . As surnames came into
>use around the time of David 1st ( 1124 -1153) you cannot justifiably
>say that name has NOT a Brythonic origin or that it IS anything but
>Scotttish and is common around Ayrshire.

The name is claimed to be Gaelic in origin from an area
of Scotland infiltrated by Irish. Based on that alone
I am just stating that they need a lot more evidence to
suggest they were Strathclyde British.

> Galbriath seems a good Brythonic indicator to me, it has a solid central
> group, the clan are collectively called the ' Foreign Britons - Mac a
> Bhreatnaich' and comes from the right area.

If they were locally known as foreign Britons how is
that one would conclude they were native to the
area? From what I have seen Clann a' Bhreatannaich
is a modern designation. Remember that the Stewarts
from Brittany brought a number of foreign families with
them to the area.

> The Colhoun results seem interesting too, I'm more of a Historian than
> DNA bod, so maybe someone can tell me what their strange markers are.

Colhoun is from Colquhoun which is a good Dumbartonshire
family that seems to have originally been Kilpatricks from
Dumfrieshire.

Best wishes!

Peter

This thread: