From: Ruy Cardoso <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] How many Ancestral lines do we have
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:38:25 -0700 (PDT)

> From: (John Chandler)

> If you don't take pedigree collapse into
> consideration, then you're stuck with that
> more-than-astronomical number. If you *do* take it
> into account and look back to the dawn of humanity,
> then there are two different ways to count lines.

If we're talking about the number of lines within a
genealogical time frame, we could certainly take a
more direct route and just count them, or at least
count the known ones. I haven't updated my own
figures recently, but I have about 1100 known
ancestors in my own ahnentafel, with the various lines
terminating anywhere between five and twelve
generations back. To give a rough sense of the
average, I can say that of the 128 ancestors in the
seventh generation back, I have at least some record
on 120 of them.

Anyway, the last time I checked on my full list, the
ratio of distinct ancestors to total ancestors was
about 77% in that motley timeframe. Is this a similar
result to what others find?

Ruy Cardoso