From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] I am M269+ (R1b1c)
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:44:59 -0400

First, it helps to have a framework in mind. Check out this graphic:

www.familytreedna.com/haplotree.html

This is pretty blurry at the detail level, but every hoirzontal line in the
tree is associated with a named SNP for which any tested individual will be
either positive or negative.

In the R branch, M343 identifies R1b. P25, which is immediately downstream,
identifies R1b1. And M269, which is just downstream of P25, identifies
R1b1c.

To be precise, only M343 identifies R1b. But as I noted in my original
post, we also tend to use "R1b" as a shorthand designation for both P25 and
M269 simply because there is nearly perfect overlap between the three SNPs
in the real world.

David Wilson