From: "Russ _" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] What additional tests do I need?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:15:51 -0400

A 37 marker test from FTDNA might help. They have a huge database of names
and people tested. DNA Heritage offers a 43 marker test. But to find a
match with a particular surname, I'd at least get 37 markers tested.
There's no guarantee that you'd get a match though, unless one of your
distant genetic cousins has also tested. Chances are, if these companies
keep doing well, one of them eventually will. Whatever company you use, you
can compare your reults with people at YSEARCH and YBASE as well. Just type
those two words on the Yahoo search engine. You may do that before you test
to see if you see the same surnames you are interested in that are from
Alabama.