From: "Jim Huston" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Punctuated' evolution in the human genome
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:56:43 -0500

Yow! Thanks, Dale -- great article.

It's good, hard data supporting the "punctuated equilibrium" evolutionary
model Stephen Jay Gould proposed based on phenotype observations. Species
remain stable for extended periods of time, then branch and change rapidly
for a short time before settling in again.

It stands to reason that that sort of event is taking place in all genes,
not just the ones that result in really obvious changes, so what implication
does that have for MRCA calculations, as well as larger-scale population
dating? We are pretty much forced by the state of the art and economics to
rely on average mutation rates, but I wonder how significant is the error
introduced by cumulative punctuation?

- Jim Huston

>From: "Dale E. Reddick" <>
>Subject: [DNA] Punctuated' evolution in the human genome
>Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:06:08 -0400
>
>Hi Folks,
>
>An article reporting new findings regarding human genomic evolution.
>
>Dale

> http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=26283

>Jumpstart your genealogy with OneWorldTree. Search not only for
>ancestors, but entire generations. Learn more:
>http://www.ancestry.com/s13972/rd.ashx

This thread: