Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b in Norway - Role of British Slaves
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 02:51:40 -0700

David, thanks for bringing this up on the list. I've posted something about it in the past, but I might as well throw in my two cent's worth now as well. My little cluster of Tagerts are pretty strongly characteristic of & consistent with the modal for Clan Gregor R1b (well within the range of mutations for that clan, being only 3 off the modal at 25 markers) as well as being near matches at high resolution with men who carry other well known Highland surnames. To be fair, we certainly also have near matches with surnames which are not quite so characteristically Scottish (meaning that they are surnames that many people would not always recognize as Scottish). However, we have almost zero near matches at high resolution (at least 33/36 of 33/37 - SMGF, RG, DNAH & FTDNA) that are not surnames of British Isles origin. In fact, we have only one near match with a surname that is not of British Isles origin, a 35/36 match with a SMGF haplotype. The SMGF participant has also publi!
shed genealogical info on the internet, & that particular family traces it's recent history to Trondheim, on the Norwegian coast. Just as a little bit of a history lesson, the Macant'sagairt (Macantagart) Earls of Ross were the hereditary abbots of A' Chomraich - the Sanctuary, founded in 673 AD by St. Maelrubha, the Irish missionary to the Picts. A' Chomraich is more commonly known today by the name of Applecross, which is itself a corruption of Apor Crossan or Aber Crosen, meaning the mouth (estuary) of the River Crosan, in Wester Ross, just east of the the southern end of the Isle of Skye. To complicate matters, at least some historians (& these references are controversial) suggest that the hereditary abbots of the monastery of Applecross were of the O'Beollain line, an Irish ecclesiastical clan that later intermarried with Norse invaders in the 10th century. So which came first, the chicken or the egg? I'm not making any commitments on this matter, just a simple observ!
ation that a haplotype with very strong Western Highlands & Ulster Irish associations has only one high resolution near match that is not from the British Isles - a Norwegian. The obvious problem is that the exception only proves the rule. There could be any number of possible reasons for that single exception, but still, it's an interesting possibility. Pat Tagert

This thread: