Subject: Re: [DNA] HIV Immunity from DNA
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:24:52 EDT

In a message dated 6/18/05 8:29:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> This was really amazing. Does anyone know how to test for HIV
> immunity? Thanks!
>
> "One stunning example is a gene variant that makes 1 per cent of Caucasians
> (and an estimated 10 per cent of Ashkenazi Jews) immune to HIV infection.
> It blocks receptors on the surface of cells where the AIDS virus would
> otherwise enter. Scientists suspect the trait was passed down from
> Europeans who survived medieval smallpox plagues thanks to the same
> mutation. "

The mutation is called CCR5-delta32 (a loss of 32 bases from the CCR5 gene).
You can search our archives for CCR5* to find previous postings on the
subject. There's been quite a bit of research done from the perspective of population
genetics, but I don't know that there's any way to obtain a commercial /
clinical test for the mutation.

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/?list=GENEALOGY-DNA

Ann Turner

This thread: