From: "Doug Turner" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] tracing maternal grandfather....
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:07:23 -0500

It would be interesting in the following scenario from my perspective to
test your mother's father so ascertain his matches, and so more about his
heritage.

There is no test that I am aware of for his DNA that would connect to you.
Your mtDNA can only connect to your mother's mother's mother and so on.

Only your husband's test will connect to your own sons (or a test of his
father). Your mother's father's test will not connect to you or your sons.
Your mother's father's test will connect to your mother's brothers if there
are such, and also to your mother's brothers' sons if there are such.

We certainly are part of all of our ancestors. Our personality, physical
traits, inherited abilities and disabilities some from the spectrum of our
ancestors, but our Y DNA and mtDNA are more limited.

Others in the group may suggest a new test regarding your grandfather that I
haven't.

Interesting question.

Regards,
Doug Turner