From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] tracing maternal grandfather....
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 04:22:13 -0700 (PDT)

Yes. It is called a relationship test and is basically an extended version of a paternity test. Go to www.genetree.com for some basic information. Grandparents and first cousins are about as distant as they can go with any accuracy. It appears that the certainty of results varies considerably.

SMGF is also investigating the possibility of using using autosomes for extended relationships. See this post:

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2004-04/1082642853

Bob Stafford

Diane <> wrote:

Since Y DNA follows your father's line and MTDNA follows your mother's line....does DNA also show a genetic relationship to your
mother's father? I don't need to prove this, I am just asking because it seems obvious to me that "we" are a result of our Maternal
Grandparents as well... Or aren't we?

Let's say I am female, and my mother is deceased, but her father is alive....is there a test that would show a relationship of my
grandfather on her side, to connect to me? Or a relationship to connect to my sons?

Just curious...if it is too involved, perhaps someone could point me to an online article I could read.
THANKS!
Sincerely, Di

http://www.ancestry.com/s13969/rd.ashx

This thread: