From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] tracing maternal grandfather....
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:31:29 -0600

Your mother's father could be tested for mtDNA or yDNA markers, but they
would not have been transmitted to either you or your siblings of either
sex.

But all the other chromosomes you received would have had contributions from
him. So for the bulk of your genetic inheritance he has contributed just
like the other three grandparents. The yDNA and mtDNA are used as
genealogical genetic markers precisely because their transmission through
the many generations is so much simpler than the other chromosomes. They
pass in each respective case only father to son for yDNA and mother to
children for mtDNA.

Ken