From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Two Varieties of y-haplogroup N3 in Europe
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 11:03:13 -0600

I have done a more complete tabulation of the two varieties of N3 haplotypes found in YHRD. I used the motif DYS392,3932 = 14,14 as identifier of N3 which is rather good in the European context for isolating this NE European haplogroup associated with Baltic and Finno-Ugric peoples. I then show the two geographically separated varieties of N3 by getting the counts in YHRD regional databases for DYS19 = 14 and DYS19 = 15. The former is the dominant Finn and Saami variety.

There is a sharp line between the two varieties at the Estonian/Latvian border. By the time you get to Poland the N3 is almost purely DYS19 = 15.

The researchers at the Tartu University Evolutionary Biology Institute who are studying N3 in depth may eventually have something to say in their publications about this deep bifurcation in Northeastern Europe N3.

COUNTRY (SAMPLE SIZE) --- DYS19 = 14 ---DYS19 = 15

Finland (399) --- 208 --- 15
Tartu (133) --- 29 --- 10
Central Norway (48) ---2 --- 0
Eastern Norway (85) --- 2 --- 0