From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re:Re: [DNA] New to DNA
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:49:37 -0700 (PDT)

I would look over each of the three firms' sites and get several opinions. I would also look over websites of some of the projects at each firm.

Everyone seems satisfied with his own firm, so it is more a matter of price, speed of service, help with analysis of results and additional services. Two major factors in your choice would be interest in traditonal genealogy vs. ancient ancestry and non-technical vs. technical background or interest.

www.relativegenetics.com (RG)

www.dnaheritage.com (DNAH)

www.ftdna.com (FTDNA)

The first two use the same lab and test the same 43 markers. RG calls their test a 37-marker test because they only count duplicated markers (those with small letters after the number) once in their designation. The first two are cheaper and faster. All three provide accurate results.

These are the pages that tell about starting a project at each firm:

http://www.relativegenetics.com/relativegenetics/green.jsp?p=115

http://www.dnaheritage.com/surnameprojects.asp

http://www.ftdna.com/surname.asp

FTDNA charges a lot more for testing as an individual, so you need to be in a project to get a good price. RG is the same for both and DNAH gives a $10 discount to projects.

It is a good idea to try to access interest ahead of time. However, it is sometimes necessary for one person to lead the way to generate any interest.

Bob Stafford

Ed Maul <> wrote:
How do I start a Maul surname project?
Thanks,