From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re:Re: [DNA] New to DNA
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:49:41 -0700 (PDT)

The normal group rate for 37 markers at FTDNA is $221. The rate at RG for 43 markers is $195. The group rate at DNAH is $189. However, you shouldn't put words in my mouth. I said they were cheaper. I didn't say "so much" cheaper. Other factors may tilt the decision between the prices.

Of course, there may be better a deal if a large number of tests can be guaranteed. It always pays to negotiate.

Bob Stafford

Robert Davenport <> wrote:

Why are the first two so much cheaper?

What is so much cheaper? Do you know the price difference?

At 02:49 PM 6/19/2005, you wrote:
>I would look over each of the three firms' sites and get several opinions.
>I would also look over websites of some of the projects at each firm.
>
>Everyone seems satisfied with his own firm, so it is more a matter of
>price, speed of service, help with analysis of results and additional
>services. Two major factors in your choice would be interest in traditonal
>genealogy vs. ancient ancestry and non-technical vs. technical background
>or interest.
>
>www.relativegenetics.com (RG)
>
>www.dnaheritage.com (DNAH)
>
>www.ftdna.com (FTDNA)
>
>The first two use the same lab and test the same 43 markers. RG calls
>their test a 37-marker test because they only count duplicated markers
>(those with small letters after the number) once in their designation. The
>first two are cheaper and faster. All three provide accurate results.
>
>These are the pages that tell about starting a project at each firm:
>
>http://www.relativegenetics.com/relativegenetics/green.jsp?p=115
>
>http://www.dnaheritage.com/surnameprojects.asp
>
>http://www.ftdna.com/surname.asp
>
>FTDNA charges a lot more for testing as an individual, so you need to be
>in a project to get a good price. RG is the same for both and DNAH gives a
>$10 discount to projects.
>
>It is a good idea to try to access interest ahead of time. However, it is
>sometimes necessary for one person to lead the way to generate any interest.
>

>Bob Stafford
>

>Ed Maul wrote:
>How do I start a Maul surname project?
>Thanks,
>Ed

>Search the US Census Collection. Over 140 million records added in the
>last 12 months. Largest online collection in the world. Learn more:
>http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx

Jumpstart your genealogy with OneWorldTree. Search not only for
ancestors, but entire generations. Learn more:
http://www.ancestry.com/s13972/rd.ashx

This thread: