From: "David Wilson" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] What additional tests do I need?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:39:17 -0700

B.J.,

Just one cautionary note about this new line of investigation. If after
further testing you find the plantation overseer continues to be a close
genetic match to your father, that may or may not be evidence of recent
relatedness. I understand that circumstances of time and space make him look
like a candidate ancestor, but a question needs to be addressed: how close
are both men to the modal values for the haplogroup they share?

If the two lines match closely and their haplotypes are frequently found,
that is a less strong case than if both men shared one or two really unusual
values at some of the tested markers. To fabricate an example, let's say
both men are known to be R1b. If they have completely modal or near modal
values for this most commonly found of haplogroups, it will be challenging
to assert a family connection. But if both men share unusual values (for
example, 15,16 at 385a,b instead of the modal 11,14), that constitutes
evidence strongly suggesting relatedness.

If those unusual matches actually do exist, you would still have the
question of whether the overseer had a brother or cousin in the same area at
the same time who could have been the contributor of the Y-chromosome your
father carries.

David Wilson