From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FW: Question on markers and their status of importance
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:12:53 -0700 (PDT)

William,

I will get into the problems and pitfalls of extending lineages with DNA testing in another post. However, you do seem to have some family genealogies already. It is important to corroborate the paper trail with testing. Many surprises await in DNA tests. The first step is to deduce the ancestral haplotype for each family progenitor. This often requires recruitment of targeted individuals, who may not see the need to pay for a test. Thus, others may have to offer to pay. It is also a good idea to test each branch for which there are gaps in documentation.

The second reason for determining ancestral haplotypes is to provide leads to those with even more recent brickwalls (the "orphans"). Matching with a family can focus their research on a few genealogies to search for possible ancestors in a top-down manner. They would be the main beneficiaries of the research, so they would hopefully contribute to the kitty.

It is best to work closely with your testing firm's molecular genealogists, initially or after a short period of random testing. They should be able to target appropriate lines for recruitment by looking at your family trees.

Bob Stafford

William L Gammage <> wrote:
My reason for this would be so I could formulate a good
reason to have some of the others in the project go ahead and extend
their tests to more markers.

This thread: