From: "Dale E. Reddick" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Surname Tolliver
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:38:20 -0400

Hey Roberta,

Beharioral plasticity - that's being -flexible- in how one responds to
matters.

Take my surname, for instance. It is regularly mis-pronounced in a
prodiguious rate! "Redrick." Rhederick." Et cetera... I've grown
used to it. While not being wholly accepting of Freudian theory, I can
certainly see where ol' Sigmund Freud (at the very least) got this part
right! "Freudian Slips" do exist! Or, the obverse are readily
observable!!!

Anyhow, part of my behavioral plasticity is to let these 'Faux Pas'
events just slide by and gently correct those who can't seem to handle
the correct pronunciation of my surname.

Behavioral plasticity is simply being plastic (flexible) in new or novel
situations.

So, HEY! If your name is spelled Taliaferro - but you've learned to
speak as though it's "Tolliver" - but someone with a CLASSIC education
and maybe some familiarity with 17th through 19th century Italian
culture knows how to pronounce that surname then pronounces the original
surname correctly - what is one to do? Maybe some descendants practice
behavioral plasticity and accept the Italian pronunciation, rather than
what they grew up learning as the English pronunciation of the surname...

Sincerely,

Dale E. *(MUCH MIS-PRONOUNCED)* Reddick
________________________________

wrote:

>Ok, what is behavioral plasticity?

>>Just a further comment on the Taliaferro surname.
>>
>>There is a Taliaferro County in Georgia. The pronunciation seems to be
>>split - Taliaferro versus Tolliver.
>>
>>I had a high school classmate in nearby Richmond Co. and her surname was
>>spelled Taliaferro. However, she and her brother pronounced it "Tolliver."
>>
>>Lots of behavioral plasticity is evident with the treatment of this surname.
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>
>>Dale E. Reddick
>>________________________________
>>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>In a message dated 6/21/2005 7:01:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>>> writes:
>>>Are you aware that TOLLIVER in many parts of the south is a distorted
>>>form of the Italian name TALIAFERRO? The first Taliaferro of whom I am
>>>aware was in colonial Virginia; he was an Italian Protestant.
>>>Mary Jo Neyer
>>>As further info re Taliaferro, etc., the family immigrated to America from
>>>England where it was existing in the 1500s. My interest in it only comes from
>>>a Taliaferro-Wingfield marriage ca. 1690. One Martha Wingfield died in
>>>Boston, MA, ca 1709 where she made her will, and named her daughter Sarah (?)
>>>Taliaferro in Virginia. There were also Taliaferro grandchildren of Martha
>>>

>>in
>>

>>>Virginia. Martha had with her at the time of her death a large fortune in
>>>coins.
>>>
>>>One Taliaferro family website is at http://www.taliaferro.net/genealogy/
>>>
>>>Lee Preston, President, Wingfield Family Society
>>>

>>>==============================
>>>New! Family Tree Maker 2005. Build your tree and search for your ancestors at
>>>

>>the same time. Share your tree with family and friends. Learn more:
>>http://landing.ancestry.com/familytreemaker/2005/tour.aspx?sourceid=14599&target
>>id=5429

>>View and search Historical Newspapers. Read about your ancestors, find
>>marriage announcements and more. Learn more:
>>http://www.ancestry.com/s13969/rd.ashx

>Search the US Census Collection. Over 140 million records added in the
>last 12 months. Largest online collection in the world. Learn more: http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx

This thread: