From: "David Wilson" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Surname Tolliver -- DNA evidence
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:43:30 -0700

I won't discuss findings that are the prerogative of the Taliaferro DNA
Project coordinator to introduce, but I can make a couple of general
observations. The implications have been summarized in internet postings on
genealogical web sites anyway, so all I am doing is repeat for the benefit
of this list information that has already been published/posted elsewhere.

The Taliaferros of VA are patrilineally unrelated to the Tollivers of
northwestern NC (Wilkes Co. and environs). In addition, the picture
concerning the "five Tolliver brothers" of NC is ambiguous. Descendants of
four of these Tollivers are R1b. Descendants of the fifth, my ancestor John
Tolliver, are E3b2. There is apparently no chance of an intervening NPE in
John's line. Among the tested Tollivers are descendants of two different
sons of John. Triangulation means John had to have been an E3b2. Perhaps he
was a half brother of the four others, or perhaps he was adopted.

There are also E3b1 Taliaferros (so spelled).

All Taliaferro/Toliver haplotypes in Ysearch appear to be R1b, but I don't
think it is the case that they can all be connected to the NC Tollivers
(excluding John, the E3b2 guy).

There is an infrequently encountered Spanish surname Tolivar. Since E3b2 in
Europe is localized in Spain and Portugal (and perhaps more strongly in
Portugal, based on YHRD records), that may be where the ancestors of John
Tolliver b. 1785 came from. But then how do we explain the R1b status of his
brothers?

David Wilson