From: "David Wilson" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Comparison of marker and distance relation with same surname.
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:18:44 -0700

Allen,

Brace yourself for an opinion you probably don't want to hear. Even with
same surname, the genetic distance of 12 is large enough to suggest that
there is no recent common ancestor. I have several Wilsons in the Wilson
Surname Project who are genetically closer than that, and they seem to be
unrelated.

I wish I could tell you that I think you have found a distant cousin, but it
doesn't feel to me as though you have. With a genetic distance of 12, your
most recent common ancestor probably lived well over a thousand years ago --
long before the era of surnames.

As to YCAII, it is true that 19,22 is less common than 19,23. But it is
still found in one of every 12 R1b haplotypes. Remember that R1b is the
largest European haplogroup, and even uncommon alleles will occur hundreds
of thousands of times throughout the entire population.

David Wilson