From: "William Hurst" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Comparison of marker and distance relation with same surname.
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:04:31 -0400

Hi Allen,

I'll have to agree with David W.; the genetic distance of 12 shows that your
two persons are NOT related, rather than related. The 19,22 on YCAIIa,b
doesn't mean much. I have those numbers, as do 14 of my cousins - up to
about 7th cousins - who have genetic distances of no more than 2. In fact
I'm only a genetic distance of 11 to your MU26C. When I scribble my name, it
sometimes is read as "Hunt." That doesn't make us cousins. <G>

Bill Hurst

Allen wrote:

> I recently purchased another person kit. I select this other branch of
> Hunt through the idea of congregation cluster in human migration. This
> line go back to 1600 when it came to America. I had a near match with
> Brewer surname and traced that family back to a Hunt family. The final
> result is a genetic distance of 12. We both have the rare R1b YCAII a,b
> 19,22.
>
> I am trying asking am I reading into this a possible distance cousin
> going back 12+ generation or pure coincident?
>
> YSearch for me is MU26C and Him 9NGBE

This thread: