From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] marker value ranges that point to Scottish ancestry ?]
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:08:14 -0600

> I had someone ask me if there was a pattern of specific
> marker's and or the range of values for specific markers,
> that would indicate if one was Scottish or not ...
>
> would also be interested in hearing, if there were other
> nationalities / origins that might be indicated by there own
> specific marker's too if it's at all possible to determine ...

Just my two kroner, but this is an essentially meaningless question given
the length of genetic timeframes and the fluidity of geopolitical borders.
(And the fact that often borders were moving one way while people were
moving another.) For instance, I'm a member of a subhaplogroup that
appears to have spent some time in Norman France along about the 900-1200
timeframe. Does that 'indicate' that I'm French? Not hardly. The
same cluster shows up in Denmark, Germany, England, Ireland, and several
other places, and for the past 360 years or so several lines of it have been
in the United States. Given enough work (and luck) we might identify
approximately where and when it first became something testably identifiable
(probably well before the start of the Common Era), but it's obviously
passed through quite a number of 'national' identities since then - often
several at once, as lines branched and rebranched. There are certain
sub-sub-clusters, such as the 'Isles' and 'Border Reivers' varieties of R1b,
that are strongly identified with geographic regions, but even these are
only superficially related to nationalities.

Or in a nutshell -- no.

Glen

This thread: