From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplogroup F*
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:43:18 -0600

It will be interesting to see how this is resolved. The 9FF4V except for
DYS439=13 is right on the money for what has been found to be a very large
group in NW Europe and generally put in the group I1c a.k.a. I2

Rootsi et al paper which was the first to really broadly search for I1c
haplotypes used M170+ (or is it M258+) plus M223+ as the defining SNPs.
Haplogroup I is shown to be definable by three "redundant" SNPs --- P19,
M170, and M258 Does danger lurk when researchers use different ones of the
"redundant" SNPs?

So is it possible we have a case where allegedly redundant SNPs are really
differentiated by some haplotypes? This should send David Faux into a state
of nirvana, if so.

Let me quote the controling language in the Rootsi et al paper. "Of the
1104 Y chromosomes from the present study ... that showed the derived M170
C-allele, 236 (representative of the entire collection) were first examined
for all the Hg I mutations known to date --- namely, M21, M26, P37, M72,
M223, M227, M253, M284, and M307... The M258 and M307 were observed in all
of the hgI and I1a Y chromosomes, respectively, whereas the M21, M72, and
M284 mutations were not found. Thus, all of these were subsequently omitted
in the remainder of the survey."

If not already done, I will try to track the owner of 9FF4V down and get the
most definitive possible answer about what SNPs have been performed on it?

Ken