From: (John Chandler)
Subject: Re: [DNA] redundant SNPs?
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:54:13 -0400 (EDT)

Robert wrote:
> There are no redundant SNPs.
>
> Any SNP will be defining if we find surviving haplotypes that branch at
> that point.

In the early stages of any haplogroup, its population is necessarily
very small (starting from just one person), and therefore easily
subject to frequent bottlenecks (and, in most cases, outright
extinction). Since the total SNP mutation rate is close to one per
individual, it seems likely that there are many redundant SNPs for any
haplogroup. Of course, it's also very likely that at most one of them
has been discovered so far. We simply can't know which discovered
SNPs will prove to be redundant and which ones won't.

John Chandler

This thread: