From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplogroup F*
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:36:10 -0600

FTDNA does not test M170 and M258, only P19. Rootsi used the former two and
not the third for establishing yhaplogroup "I". So I guess each could miss
back mutations in their excluded SNPs. Bell 326 seems like a good candidate
for David Faux to test M170 and M258 as well as M223. Probability seems
negligible that three SNPs would have back mutations. David, are you back
home and in business?

Last summer I was tested for M253, M307, and P30 --- all defining SNPs for
I1a. I tested positive for M253 and P30, but negative for M307. But there
are real problems with such a result since some papers have indicated they
found no M253+, M307- haplotypes out of a broad sampling of I1a haplotypes.
Fortunately I also tested P40+ putting me further downstream in I1a1.

I and others have asked through the months what the error rate is in
reported SNP test results from the companies? The question is still of
interest.

Ken