From: "gareth.henson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplogroup F*
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 01:12:56 +0100

Ken & Phil

another possible explanation for the similarity of the F* haplotypes to
groups G to K is that there are as yet undiscovered SNPs downstream to
P14/M89 (defining macrogroup F) but upstream to the SNPs currently defining
the main haplogroups i.e.M201 for G, M69 for H, M170 for I, etc. Some of
these could be shared by two or more of G to K (just as M214 links N and O),
others could just add a new level to one of the groups in the same way that
M343 added a level to R1b. The F*s who were positive for a "shared" SNP
would have to be redefined as e.g. IJ*.
I think this is more likely than back mutations on critical SNPs.

I don't know why the YCC left all the "spare" haplogroup letters (S onwards)
at the end, it would have made more sense to keep some spare near the
beginning and in the middle.

Gareth