From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplogroup F*
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:47:49 -0400

Gareth wrote:

> another possible explanation for the similarity of the F* haplotypes to
> groups G to K is that there are as yet undiscovered SNPs downstream to
> P14/M89 (defining macrogroup F) but upstream to the SNPs currently
> defining
> the main haplogroups i.e.M201 for G, M69 for H, M170 for I, etc. Some of
> these could be shared by two or more of G to K (just as M214 links N
> and O),
> others could just add a new level to one of the groups in the same way
> that
> M343 added a level to R1b. The F*s who were positive for a "shared" SNP
> would have to be redefined as e.g. IJ*.
> I think this is more likely than back mutations on critical SNPs.

I second this! Good thinking, Gareth!

As I wrote earlier, a slightly different but related idea,

> Who knows, there could still be several small haplogroups, like F1,
> downstream of F, that still haven't been discovered.

And the existence of a superhaplogroup that includes I and J has, I
think, been proposed. I think I read this a long time ago in some
earlier papers -- don't know whether the idea was dropped as unlikely,
or what.

Bonnie Schrack

This thread: