Subject: RE: original English people (was Haplogroup F*)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:47:15 +0000

Hi Glen,

You wrote:
>There is an 'aboriginal' English
>population of sorts, which is
>mostly restricted to areas like
>Wales these days and is pretty
>much a small minority, but most
>English are descendants.
>of various waves of immigrants
>(or invaders, depending upon
>your political tastes) such as the
>Anglo-Saxons, the aforementioned
>Danelaw Danes, and the
>Normans (themselves all mixtures
>of older tribes).

I don't think there's much of anyone left in the fields of ancient British history or population genetics who would now agree with this statement.

Im sure the many people on the list with more detailed knowledge of British history will straighten you out on this better than I can, but let me just briefly explain that your assumptions about the aboriginal/indigenous Britons being a small minority mainly confined to Wales reflect the older view that has been demolished in recent years by the DNA evidence, as well as other kinds of evidence.

We now have a very different picture in which the large majority of English and other people of the British Isles do in fact descend from the original inhabitants, while the much-touted invasions by Vikings, Anglo-Saxons, and Normans have left a much more modest imprint than had once been believed. Not insignificant, by any means, but hardly a matter of driving a small remnant of natives into a refuge area.

Bonnie Schrack

This thread: