Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplogroup F*
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:57:16 +0000

Dale wrote:

>The Doomsday Book and other medieval sources indicate that there were
>plenty of Danes and "Wales" and other 'foreign' elements (Slavic Wends)
>in both pre- and post-Norman Invasion England. Then, add in the Norman
>French, Bretons, and whoever else - then it becomes clearly difficult to
>know who 'knows' who is who...

>England is a model for the American 'Melting Pot.'

Dale, I'm the last one to minimize or put down diversity, but the Domesday Book is not considered a source of any kind of unbiased accuracy in revealing ancient British history. There were naturally many diverse ethnic elements, but the old model Glen put forward, which always portrayed triumphant Anglo-Saxon, Viking and Norman invaders driving back a weak remnant of primitive Celtic tribes, has been tossed out and is enjoying a well-deserved retirement.

Naturally some percentage of those who came from the continent were R1b, but that can hardly explain the hefty majority of R1b found in the English population, which is considered to indicate native ancestry.

Bonnie

This thread: