Subject: Strathclyde Britons & Normans (was Re: [DNA] Haplogroup F* )
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:35:07 +0000

Peter, you wrote:
>It is a shame that the Capelli's census of the British Isles was void of
>samples from that part of Scotland inhabited by the Strathclyde
>Britains, It is perhaps the only part of the island that had the least
>impact (in terms of permanent settlement) by invaders prior to the
>arrival of the Normans.
Since my maternal (mtDNA) lineage most likely comes from the Strathclyde area, and I tend to think, the Britons, this is very interesting to hear. Do you happen to know whether the Normans brought many females with them to settle there? I know that the surname of Hugh Kelso, the husband of Sarah, my earliest known, 1718 immigrant female ancestor in this line, was considered Norman, or at least derived from a Norman term for a geographic feature in the Strathclyde region.
You can write to me off-list if this gets into a detailed discussion that's not DNA-related.
Bonnie Schrack

This thread: