From: John Conley <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] "Indigenous, etc."
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:17:33 -0400

Too bad my anthropoligist son couldn't wade into this. He feels this whole
area is 'weird science', and structures his work around communities rather
than genetics.

However, we did have a 4 hour discussion on 'native peoples', with my point
being that I am native somewhere, and that the bulk of our family were
involuntarily displaced from Scotland in favour of sheep.

Being a English/French bilingual family a discussion arose about the calling
of North American Amerindians "Les Sauvages". Note that the general
conclusion of linguists is that the word 'sauvage' is not translatable
directly to English, but denotes 'wild' or inhabitant of an inhospitable
place.

Words mean different things to different people. In Canada we refer to the
First Nation Cree, or the Iriquois First Nation People. They are the ones
pushing this type of title.

Of course, they too have a settlement pattern, and as much as the Celts
ebbed and flowed through Europe, so did the North American first peoples,
fighting other tribes, taking their land, and moving from place to place.

The end result is that we are all descendants of some 'first nation' people,
somewhere, at some point.

It appears to me that what DNA studies will do is identify rough numbers of
groups that migrated from place to place in early years.

And perhaps, more importantly, it can eventually become a quick tool to
speed up the current research process, for the family histories that many of
us have contributed have become nothing but a cash cow for those who hold
our records in their vaults and sell volumes of data which may or may not be
totally meaningless to those who pay for it.

Once a person can find their family by using a quick internet search rather
than a subscription service we will all be better served.

--
John Conley Sr.

This thread: