From: "brad pierce" <>
Subject: Question about DYS 464
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 07:52:09 -0500

I run the Pierce (in southern U.S.) surname project and have questions regarding one of my group members.

That member is the only one in the group who has marker 464e. (17 in this case) The question regards family groups H and J at our website http://www.piercedna.com

What is the genetic distance between these two families. I know that there is a distance of 2 at 449. Is the distance one at 464? Or is it two at 464? They are off by one at 464d. Does the additional marker at 464e for family group H mean they are off by two at 464? Is the total distance 3 or 4?

Does a mutation that allows an extra copy of 464 ever reverse itself? Can one have an ancestor with a 464e copy that has descendants that have four copies?

Will we likely find related families to group H (with the 464e marker) that do not have this marker?

Thanks for any help with these questions.
Brad Pierce

This thread: