From: Crystal <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] "Indigenous, etc."
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 07:11:00 -0700 (PDT)

Just wading into the fray. *Generally* here in the
United States it seems that the terminology is leaning
away from the term "Native American" for a myriad of
reasons. One being that it is viewed as a "PC" type
term coined by the Government (and not by the
Peoples). Second enough people are being asinine by
going around saying hey are you saying I'm not native
American - I was born here too. (and of course others
have their reasons) .. anyway American Indians are
Native American (as well as native American - they are
not the same) - some people are either not aware of
the difference (not knowin one is a proper term) or
purposely being obtuse. Anyway it's getting rather
irritating (re the purposely obtuse ones).
*Usually* order of preference is to say one is
Otoe, Ojibwa, Cherokee, etc. like one is French,
Italian, etc.
Second being referred to as American Indian, Indian,
or Native American (some really could care less - not
important we all know what you mean) which is similar
to European. But generally it's leaning toward the
first two terms. I've been told that in Canada the
preferred term by *most* is First Nations. And I
might mention that Alaskans' seem to stand on their
own and want to be referred to Alaska Natives. :) The
rather long winded term is American Indian and Alaska
Native .. (sigh writing really sucks then ;)

And for examples of the changing climate of
preference. Note:
National Congress of American Indians
Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indians
Heart of America Indian Center (just the term Indian
here).
American Indian Science and Engineering Society.
Society of American Indian Government Employees.

Great thought has gone into these names.

And of course it may swing another way or back to
preferring Native American.

Anyway you can always find someone willing to take
exceptions to "terms" (some just because they can) and
some who can really care less.

This thread: