From: "Andrew and Inge" <>
Subject: if there is a point to this indigenous discussion
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:20:45 +0200

Does any of the people going on about invasions and immigrations know of any
evidence at all which suggests any replacement to any significant extent of
and think its all just speculation. What evidence is there against the
possibility that every immigrating group that ever came to Britain
(something which happens constantly even now) only made a small impact on
the genes?

Also I would suggest a more careful use of the linguistic terms. P-Celtic
and Q-Celtic are terms which are being questioned by linguists now, and
basically reflect another assumption - that Gaelic and Welsh are simply the
most recent counter parts of an ancient dichotomy of languages in the
British Isles. Fact is that we have very little evidence for any ancient
Celtic languages before Welsh and Gaelic became standard languages in two
parts of the Isles, but there is evidence that the ancient Irish and ancient
British sometimes understood each other to be using C and P as in their own
languages - almost if the difference was very small for some of them. We
also do not know how many British residents spoke Latin as a first language.
It is for example possible that Latin-based dialects were widely spoken and
had already pushed Celtic languages into a minority position - after all the
areas where we know Welsh was spoken when it first appears in history are
all isolated from Romanisation and inter-connected by allegiances of various
sorts. Early Welsh and Gaelic show signs of having become important because
they were accepted standard "second languages" for communication between
communities.

Andrew

This thread: