From: "David Wilson" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] E3b (WAS: Genographic Project Y-12 Results)
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:30:17 -0700

Jim,

If you haven't already discovered the links by exploration, Family Tree DNA
has a library of research papers available on their web site. The link is at
the bottom of the right side of their start page.

In their collection is this document, which you may find interesting:
http://www.familytreedna.com/pdf/hape3b.pdf

This is a very good E3b overview, but read it with one caution: the authors
(Cruciani et al) interpret the M35 SNP to represent clade E3b1, not simple
E3b as the NG report has it. So there is a potential for clade confusion
that you need to keep in mind. If you focus on the SNPs like M78 and M81
rather than the associated YCC labels, you should be able to keep the
hierarchy straight.

I suspect your haplotype belongs to the M81 subclade -- E3b2, or what
Cruciani and his co-authors call E3b1b. I can't show you a similar haplotype
that has been SNP tested as belonging to M81, but I can show you some
associations that point in the direction.

First, the values DYS391=9 and 385a,b=13,14 or 13,15 seem to be good
indicators for your particular variety of R1b and distinguish it from other
varieties. The most common E3b variety seems to have DYS391=10 and higher
values at 385a,b -- 16,18 or 17,18 for example.

Ignore for the moment your 389ii value of 31 and your DYS19 value of 14.
Search on the other values at YHRD, and you should see a cluster of hits in
Iberia and in northern Africa westward from Tunisia.

Now with that picture in mind go to the distribution table in the Cruciani
article and see where he found exemplars of the different SNPs. You will see
that in Europe there is an Iberian concentration of the M81 exemplars.

This isn't proof, but it's a pretty interesting correlation. I don't see any
better correlation in the Cruciani and YHRD distribution pictures.

Is there an alternative explanation? Maybe. The M78 subclade (that's E3b1 in
the conventional designation, but E3b1a in Cruciani's terminology) is
represented by four observed clusters that are designated alpha through
delta. Specific SNPs are not associated with any of these clusters at
present. It may be the case that the modal haplotype for the E3b1-beta
cluster is similar to the E3b2 modal haplotype. If so, you it is possible
you belong to the M78-beta cluster rather than M81.

Cruciani found representation in Sicily for both M78-beta and M81 -- but
only one example of each in a sample set of 136.

Excuse me if I beat a dead horse, but E3b1-beta in the non-Cruciani system
is NOT repeat NOT the same thing as E3b1b in Cruciani's labeling. I wandered
directionless and unproductively in this hierarchy for longer than I care to
report before I realized that. The beta cluster is in the M78 clade
regardless of what label you give it. The other haplogroup belongs to M81.

The weak part of the case for assigning you to M78-beta lies in the YHRD
distribution. Unless M78-beta is really rare, you would have expected to see
at least a couple of hits in Sicily if this haplotype is somewhat similar to
the modal M81 pattern. They aren't there.

In either case, given the Tunisian hotspot Cruciani identifies for both of
these groups, it is only a hop, skip and jump to Sicily.

Let me encourage you to think in terms of a SNP test for M78 and M81 to
resolve this question. I suspect it won't be long before you hear news of a
company that can do that analysis for you.

By the way, I just found my first E3b ancestor recently -- a remote
grandparent along a matrilineal line. Based on the haplotypes of his
descendants, which are similar to yours, I think he was an M81.

David Wilson
Wilson Surname Project Co-administrator