From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Britannia
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:47:16 -0600

> I doubt it if one would believe that the common tongue (as
> in mother tongue) was Latin when P Celtic and Q Celtic languages
> dominated and survived once the Romans left. Latin since the
> days of the empire was the language of the legal establishment. It
> survived for the most part because these people were mostly
> attached to the Roman Church which remained throughout most

Anything that uses Bede's as a reference must bear in mind that Bede was
monastery-educated and a priest and scholar of the Roman Church. Thus his
perceptions on the culture and folkways of the British Isles were most
decidedly skewed. HE would have heard quite a bit of Latin, since he
associated largely with other Roman churchmen, and Latin was the language of
the Church.

Glen

This thread: