From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] if there is a point to this indigenous discussion
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:01:56 -0600

> I think the evidence is clear that the AngloSaxons and Vikings of the
> "Danelaw" had a large demographic effect on the English populations.
> The Norwegian Vikings elsewhere less so except in a few concentrated
> areas. The evidence is mainly the percentages of the R1a and I1a
> haplotype varieties (and perhaps Northern variety of I1c) which are

And I might also point out that speaking of the effects of different groups
on the 'English' population is itself an oversimplification. For
instance, my male line was from Yorkshire, which is right in the middle of
the region that was once the Danelaw, and thus the Danish Viking influence
is quite high. (Certain words and phrases in 'dialect' Yorkshire speech
are even today directly identifiable as Old Norse.) Down by the Saxon
Shore influences on the population would be decidedly different. Add to
that the fact that the Normans themselves were a mixture of Danish Viking
(and a few out and out Scandinavians - Hrolf Rognvaldsson was born in
Norway) and French (which themselves represent multiple tribes - the Franks
were originally Germanic) and you do indeed have a jigsaw puzzle - or a
crazy quilt.

Glen

This thread: