From: "David Wilson" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Now I'm REALLY confused!
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:18:42 -0700

According to information at Ian Logan's web site
(http://www.ilbg18230.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mtdna.htm), R is one of the
supergroups that contains many of the other alphabetical haplogroups.

What is interesting is that I and W, which were once suggested to you as
possible haplogroup homes, are part of a different supergroup -- N.

If I'm reading the separate org charts correctly, it looks as though there
is a kind of ambiguous zone where haplotypes that are clearly not part of
the root haplogroup collection (L and its immediate successors) might belong
to one or the other of the major derivative supergroups -- that would be R
and N. Semmes to me FTDNA thought they saw I and W features at first glance,
but by the time they finished their analysis you looked more like an R to
them.

I'm just expressing an opinion based on the tables at Ian's site. I don't
pretend to be an mtDNA expert. Maybe Ian has an idea about this situation.

David Wilson