From: "David Wilson" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Help with test results
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:59:52 -0700

Interesting results. The four differences you report in HVR2 are among the
most frequently found differences in that region. But the single difference
in HVR1 is among the rarest.

Before the recent match was reported to you, the mitosearch data base had
only one other instance of a mutation at 16269G -- but that one was
accompanied by four other HVR1 differences as well.

This situation suggests to me that in your case the difference you share
with the recently reported match could have been a fairly recent independent
mutation that is unrelated to the other 16269C that appears in company with
other differences. "Recent" in this context could still amount to dozens of
generations, so it may not actually help establish a connection in
genealogical time. But I believe it would be worth it for the other person
to test HVR2 as well to see if you both share the common matches there in
addition to the match on a rare difference in HVR1.

David Wilson