From: "Andrew and Inge" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] if there is a point to this indigenous discussion
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:59:55 +0200

Dear Ellen

I am sorry if I implied that discussions about population replacement are
not appropriate that was certainly not my intention. I was trying to focus a
bit. What's more, your remarks about the studies in Basque country and
Tuscany are clearly fine but not relevent to Britain. Of course Ken is right
that there is some genetic evidence for partial replacement in Britain, and
that is normally presumed to be from Germanic speakers.

Of course you're right that there were continental celtic languages and
dialects, but we know so little about them, and even less about how they may
have effected Britain during Roman times and thereabouts.

As to the Etruscan and Basque studies, I suppose they were mt DNA based, and
only small samples (a few individuals) so perhaps not totally conclusive.
Also, concerning anything in Italy, I guess it is possible (just one
possibility) that the genetic situation changed almost totally after the
Roman empire - not only because of new people coming in, but also because of
old people moving elsewhere. Other possibilities such as mutations, genetic
drift and so on also make sense to me, and I'm not sure why you think I'm
over-looking them.

Regards
Andrew