From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] "Indigenous, etc."
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:50:54 -0700 (PDT)

John:

Can you contact me off list? I'd be interested in
hearing about this article.

Metallurgy appears to have first arrived in Ireland
with the Beaker folk. Apparently there were some
rather large deposits of copper in Ireland that were
mined during the Bronze Age.

Although Ray suggested that may cultural developments
as recorded in the archaeological record may have been
through cultural diffusion, it is also clear that some
were not and were due to an influx of new people,
along with new technologies. When people change the
accoutrements of their culture so completely - their
burial modes, their forms of monument building,
farming, pottery, adornment, habitation sites, forms
of housing - then you are probably looking at an
influx of a new group of people rather than the
diffusion of new cultural traits.

Ellen