From: (Raymond Whritenour)
Subject: [DNA] RE: original English people (was Haplogroup F*)
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:27:37 -0400

Thank you, Peter, for providing this quotation. This IS good evidence
that a pre-Anglo-Saxon population was still identifiable in 11th century
England. The link to Comberton seems a bit weak, though.

Ray Whritenour

-------------------------------------

Sorry I missed the point of the original post. The p. 314 section
addresses your concern. Morris writes:

"Men of inferior Welsh status persisted as late and later in the south.
The laws of 10th-century London sentenced a runaway bondman to be stoned
'like a Welsh thief'; implying a different status from an English thief.
In Cambridge, an 11th-century guild insured its members against the
contingency that they might slay a Welshman, and so be liable for a
compensation payment set at half the value of a free Englishman; there
the nearby village of Comberton suggests the home of some of the Welsh
whom the guildsmen might encounter."

I have no comments or views on whether there were Welsh in London, etc.
in the 10th century. I am just being helpful in providing information at
my fingertips.

This is it for me on this.

Best wishes!

Peter