From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Etruscan DNA
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:01:14 -0700 (PDT)

The only study I am aware of is, "The Etruscans: A
Population-Genetic Study," Cristiano Vernesi (2004) Am
J Hum Genet 74:694-704. The study suggests that
"genetic distances and sequence comparisons show
closer evolutionary relationships witht he eastern
Mediterranean shores for the Etruscans than for modern
Italian populations. All mitochondrial lineages
observed among the Etruscans appear typically European
or West Asian, but only a few haplotypes were found to
have an exact match in a modern mitochondrial
database, raising new questions about the Etruscans'
fate after their assimilation into the Roman state."

Ellen Coffman

This thread: