From: Allen Blancett <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Reminder: National Geographic Special "Search for Adam"June 26th 8:00pm
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:27:38 -0400

I watched the whole string of snips--three hours with commercials and
repeated stuff.

I agree with others who say it was high conjecture. But you must admit
that Spencer Wells is a salesman. His sales pitch obviously wasn't
aimed at this list. It's a popularization of several interesting bits
of archeology plus a little DNA science stuck together with a tremendous
dose of speculation. The slick graphics and breezy style will appeal to
a whole lot of folks who are turned off by our nitpicking. I think it
will also help reduce some fear of the unknown, or fear that DNA testing
might simply be "a tool that could put me in jail or get my insurance
canceled!"

I suspect that many of the people who are drawn into the Genographic
Project by this presentation will require some hand-holding and
re-education about what DNA will and won't do. I don't plan to turn
them away because they aren't into the scientific details. I'll also
notify people on my DNA list about the re-runs to come.

Allen

This thread: