From: "ernest hurst" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Macro vs. Micro View of Genetic Genealogy
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:32:34 -0400

Well said! My delete key works just fine & gets a lot of use. I have, or
might have, *some* interest in all of the subjects discussed & would prefer
that I have the option to read or delete.

Ernie Hurst

been completely taken over by those whose focus is entirely upon the very
broad-brush picture of ancestry provided by MtDNA studies, as opposed to
the reason most of us got into genetic genealogy in the first place; i.e.,
to use Y-DNA data in conjunction with our "paper trail" research to find
specific ancestors with known names. Whatever happened to that?

> > Endless discussions of the technical details of haplotypes that include
half the people of Europe and endless speculations over which band of
nameless, faceless paleolithic ancestors migrated to where from where have
just left me so numb I don't even bother to read the posts on this list
anymore. How about getting back to the root purpose of surname studies;
i.e., breaking down brickwalls in conventional research and finding
connections to specific, known individuals? After you know you're an R1B
and your ancestors migrated out of Africa and across the Eurasian
continent, what else is there to know about them? Will I ever know their
names? No. Will I ever know anything about how they lived their individual
lives? Only to the extent that archaeology can provide any evidence of
specific settlements.

> > Am I the only one who feels the need for a separate list for those of
us who run surname studies, or participate in them, and whose focus is upon
establishing links between ancestors who lived in historical times?

http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx

> --
> David M. Lawrence | Home: (804) 559-9786
> 7471 Brook Way Court | Fax: (804) 559-9787
> Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email:
> USA | http: http://fuzzo.com
>
> "We have met the enemy and he is us." -- Pogo
>
> "No trespassing
> 4/17 of a haiku" -- Richard Brautigan

> http://www.ancestry.com/s13972/rd.ashx

This thread: