From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Jefferson-Phoenician DNA
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 08:43:21 -0700 (PDT)

Russ:

I'm sure your correct, though some guy, Spencer Wells
or other, running around talking about having located
"Phoenician DNA" seems rather farfetched. I suppose
the only way this could be accomplished would be to
locate specific haplogroups among modern-day Lebanese
that are also present in areas where the Phoenicians
settled, particularly North Africa. Then you would
have to weed out the Lebanese haplogroups that don't
occur in these settlement areas (and vise versa),
since they could be post-Phoenician additions. If you
do a google search on "Phoenician DNA," you will pull
up the National Geographic site and info on their
search for "Phoenician" DNA. They don't give you any
indication what kind of haplogroups or haplotypes they
have identified as Phoenician.

You can be sure that the ancient Phoenicians, like
most populations, represented a mixture of
haplogroups, including probably some frequency of R1b
& R1a, and probably to a great extent, haplogroups
that occur frequently throughout the Middle East
today.

Ellen Coffman

--- Russ _ <> wrote:

> R1a and R1b is descended from Q, which travelled
> from South Asia to Central
> Asia and then westward to Europe. I don't believe
> Spencre Wells meant to
> include these two haplogroups when he said Thomas
> Jefferson y-dna haplogroup
> was "Phoenician".
>
> >From: ellen Levy <>
> >Subject: Re: [DNA] Jefferson-Phoenician DNA