Subject: Re: [DNA] Macro vs. Micro View of Genetic Genealogy
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:46:52 EDT

In a message dated 6/27/05 7:47:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> I don't know about you, but it seems evident to me that this list has been
> completely taken over by those whose focus is entirely upon the very
> broad-brush picture of ancestry provided by MtDNA studies, as opposed to the reason
> most of us got into genetic genealogy in the first place; i.e., to use Y-DNA
> data in conjunction with our "paper trail" research to find specific ancestors
> with known names. Whatever happened to that?

You are not alone in your sentiments, but I have a different perspective.
Back in the olden days, when I was list administrator, one of the list guidelines
read:

=====

*YOU* SHAPE THE LIST BY YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS. If you have a question, you can
be sure there's a lurker who is glad that somebody else spoke up. If no one is
discussing your favorite topic, start a new thread.

=====

In that light, did you follow the recent discussion about Sue Waite's project
and the possibility of parallel mutations? That's an important topic for all
surname project administrators. Did you have anything to contribute -- whether
an opinion of your own, or a question about the definition of parallel
mutations, which lurkers might be hesitant to ask? If you are silent when such
topics arise, that naturally tilts the percentage of messages in a different
direction.

Or how about starting a thread of your own, which you can easily recognize
from a good subject line? Or if that's not satisfactory, how about starting your
own mailing list (at RootsWeb, Yahoo, or Google) where you can define and
limit the scope yourself. You could have a ready-made audience.

Ann Turner

This thread: